perjantai 5. kesäkuuta 2015

Bruce Springsteen - TOP56-songs: 45 - Brilliant DisguiseBruce Springsteen - TOP56-biisit: 45 - Brilliant Disguise

From the album Tunnel of Love (1987).

On the album Tunnel of Love Springsteen made a departure to the previous album Born in the U.S.A. with which he and the band gained massive and global success. Where BitUSA painted with a large brush and was pop flavoured with rock, in 1987 ToL turned inwards to ponder on the relationship between man and woman. Another significant difference was also that this time the E Street Band wasn’t in such a big role as previously: on Brilliant Disguise there’s only Roy Bittan (keyboards), Danny Federici (organ) and Max Weinberg (drums) from the ESB, everything else is played by Bruce himself.

On this song, like on all over ToL, the sounds are have been mistreated by the ravages of time. The synthesizers, guitar sounds and drum reverb are pure 1987. There are also claves rhythming with the drum beat for the whole song. As a musical piece Brilliant Disguise is basically a simple one.

Like it was previously mentioned, ToL as an album deals with relationships. Brilliant Disguise is one of the biggest hits one the record. Bruce was then married with Julianne Phillips but their marriage was having problems already during the making of this album and came to an end when Springsteen’s relationship with Patti Scialfa came to publicity in 1988.

Brilliant Disguise surely has relations to Bruce’s own emotional life during that period. Uncertainty and the lack of confidence on the other side of the couple rear it’s ugly head. But there’s no certain knowledge of where these feeling come from, either.

I hold you in my arms
as the band plays
What are those words whispered baby
just as you turn away
I saw you last night
out on the edge of town
I wanna read your mind
To know just what I've got in this new thing I've found
So tell me what I see
when I look in your eyes
Is that you baby
or just a brilliant disguise


The suspicions grew stronger on the second verse: it feels like there’s something hidden. Who is to blame, or are they both? “Well I’ve tried so hard baby / but I just can’t see / what a woman like you / is doing with me” is a great part of this song. He doesn’t even count on himself let alone the other half of the relationship.

I heard somebody call your name
from underneath our willow
I saw something tucked in shame
underneath your pillow
Well I've tried so hard baby
but I just can't see
What a woman like you
is doing with me
So tell me who I see
when I look in your eyes
Is that you baby
or just a brilliant disguise


This pondering of the public image is a theme which many other songwriters have dealt with as well. The illusion is been held up but everything falls apart when the curtains closed and the two are left alone. But they still don’t know where’s the problem. They’re keeping on their roles although they thought the reality to be different. Does my partner trust on me either?

Now look at me baby
struggling to do everything right
And then it all falls apart
when out go the lights
I'm just a lonely pilgrim
I walk this world in wealth
I want to know if it's you I don't trust
'cause I damn sure don't trust myself


Now you play the loving woman
I'll play the faithful man
But just don't look too close
into the palm of my hand
We stood at the alter
the gypsy swore our future was right
But come the wee wee hours
Well maybe baby the gypsy lied
So when you look at me
you better look hard and look twice
Is that me baby
or just a brilliant disguise


The song unexpectedly ends on a verse and not refrain. The last section lasts only for four lines but is surprisingly haunting when it’s focused on. The damage has been done and one can only hope that things will be alright.

Tonight our bed is cold
I'm lost in the darkness of our love
God have mercy on the man
Who doubts what he's sure of


ToL is an album full of interesting explorations on relationships. Even though there are not as strong hits as on many other records the best ones are pretty great.

For Brilliant Disguise a music video was also filmed in which Bruce performs the song with his acoustic guitar while sitting on a kitchen table. As an effect he doesn’t blink once on the video that has been filmed on one take. Great symbolic.

The songs from Tunnel of Love haven’t been played a lot since the tour following the album. The themes of the songs are personal and this one usually takes Patti Scialfa to sing duet with Bruce. On the first night in Turku two years ago this was heard, however (for the first time on that tour!), although Patti wasn’t present. What a great version.Albumilta Tunnel of Love (1987).

Tunnel of Love-levyllä Springsteen teki suunnanmuutoksen edeltävään, massiivisen ja maailmanlaajuisen suosion saavuttaneeseen Born in the U.SA:han. Siinä missä BitUSA maalaili suurella pensselillä ja oli suurilta osin rockilla maustettua poppia, vuoden 1987 ToL kääntyi sisäänpäin pohdiskelemaan miehen ja naisen välistä suhdetta. Merkittävä ero oli myös se, että tällä kertaa E Street Band ei ollut niin suuressa roolissa mukana levyllä: Brilliant Disguisella perusmiehityksestä mukana ovat Roy Bittan (koskettimet), Danny Federici (urut) ja Max Weinberg (rummut), kaiken muun hoitaa Bruce itse.

Tässä laulussa, kuten koko albumilla ylipäätään, soundit ovat sellaiset, joita ajan hammas on hieman puraissut. Syntetisaattorit, kitarasoundit ja rumpukaiku ovat ehtaa vuotta 1987. Rytmikapulat rytmittävät koko biisin ajan jyskyttävää rumpukomppia. Musiikillisesti Brilliant Disguise on pohjimmiltaan melko yksinkertainen teos.

Kuten aiemmin todettiin, ToL-albumi käsittelee ihmissuhteita. Brilliant Disguise on yksi levyn suurimmista hiteistä. Bruce oli tuolloin naimisissa Julianne Phillipsin kanssa, mutta avioliitto oli ongelmissa jo tämän levyn teon aikaan ja päättyi lopulta, kun Springsteenin ja Patti Scialfan suhde tuli julkisuuteen vuonna 1988.

Brilliant Disguisessa on varmasti yhteyksiä Brucen omaan tuonhetkiseen tunne-elämään. Epävarmuus ja luottamuksen puute pariskunnan toiseen osapuoleen nostaa päätään. Mutta varmaa tietoa siitä, mistä nämä aistimukset kertovat, ei ole.

I hold you in my arms
as the band plays
What are those words whispered baby
just as you turn away
I saw you last night
out on the edge of town
I wanna read your mind
To know just what I've got in this new thing I've found
So tell me what I see
when I look in your eyes
Is that you baby
or just a brilliant disguise


Epäilykset heräävät toisessa säkeistössä vahvemmiksi: aivan kuin jotain piiloteltaisiin. Mutta onko vika kummassa osapuolessa (vai kummassakin)? ”Well I've tried so hard baby / but I just can't see / what a woman like you / is doing with me” on mahtava pätkä tässä laulussa. Paitsi ettei kertoja luota toiseen osapuoleen, ei hän luota itseensäkään.

I heard somebody call your name
from underneath our willow
I saw something tucked in shame
underneath your pillow
Well I've tried so hard baby
but I just can't see
What a woman like you
is doing with me
So tell me who I see
when I look in your eyes
Is that you baby
or just a brilliant disguise


Tämä julkisen kuvan puinti on teema, jota monet muutkin lauluntekijät ovat käsitelleet. Kulissia pidetään yllä, mutta kaikki hajoaa lopulta kun verhot lasketaan ja ollaan kaksin. Mutta edelleenkään ei tiedetä missä vika on. Tätä roolien esittämistä jatketaan kuitenkin, vaikka joskus luultiin että tulevaisuus olisi erilainen. Luottaakohan tuo toinenkaan minuun?

Now look at me baby
struggling to do everything right
And then it all falls apart
when out go the lights
I'm just a lonely pilgrim
I walk this world in wealth
I want to know if it's you I don't trust
'cause I damn sure don't trust myself


Now you play the loving woman
I'll play the faithful man
But just don't look too close
into the palm of my hand
We stood at the alter
the gypsy swore our future was right
But come the wee wee hours
Well maybe baby the gypsy lied
So when you look at me
you better look hard and look twice
Is that me baby
or just a brilliant disguise


Yllättäen laulu loppuu säkeistöön eikä kertosäkeeseen, joka kestää vain neljä riviä mutta on yllättävän painostava kun siihen paneutuu. Vahinko on jo tapahtunut ja voi vain toivoa, että asiat järjestyisivät.

Tonight our bed is cold
I'm lost in the darkness of our love
God have mercy on the man
Who doubts what he's sure of


ToL-levy on täynnä mielenkiintoisia ihmissuhde-tutkailuja. Vaikka hittiosasto ei niin vahvaa olekaan kuin monilla muilla levyillä, ovat nämä parhaat raidat aika hienoja.

Brilliant Disguiseen kuvattiin myös musiikkivideo, jossa Bruce esittää laulua istuen pöydän ääressä akustisen kitaran kanssa. Tehokeinona on, ettei herra räpäytä kertaakaan esittäessään laulua, joka on kuvattu yhdellä otolla. Hienoa symbaliikkaa.

Tunnel of Loven biisejä on soitettu keikoilla harvoin levyä puffanneen kiertueen jälkeen. Teemat ovat henkilökohtaisia, ja useimmiten tämäkin yksilö vaatii Patti Scialfan duetoimaan Brucen kanssa. Turun ensimmäisellä keikalla kaksi vuotta sitten tämä kuitenkin kuultiin (ensimmäistä kertaa ko. kiertueella!), vaikkei Patti ollut läsnä. Hieno versio.

[iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/idnJnjV_8rg" width="640" height="340"]

[iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EF_iXjyeXMM" width="640" height="340"]

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti