maanantai 15. kesäkuuta 2015

Bruce Springsteen - TOP56-songs: 39 - Nothing ManBruce Springsteen - TOP56-biisit: 39 - Nothing Man

From the album The Rising (2002).

Nothing Man has a same kind of personal dimension like the song helding the previous position, Sad Eyes. Songs on The Rising were mostly written as offset for the events of 9/11, but Nothing Man had been in the shell since the mid-1990s.

This was one of the first songs to hit me outside the hits in the spring of 2010. The Rising was one of the first records I bought from a record store. The light playing of instruments on Nothing Man and it’s interesting melody rose it above many other songs on that slightly over-stretchy long album.

I don’t want to analyze this song line by line so I’ll try to compress. The first, and long-lasted, image of this song was that it’s “just” a love song. A man states to his woman that he can be just himself and nothing else although it isn’t anything great. The description of a Friday night barbeque at Al’s in the second verse is pure Springsteen and he could wrote a dozen songs about that kind of parties and stories. And when friends meet in those parties they find out that although the surroundings have changed the sky is the same blue as always before. Today is now and not tomorrow or yesterday.

After a little exploration about how other fans saw this song I came upon a very interesting theory. What if the last verse’s mention about “pearl and silver restin’ on my night table” refer to a gun (a pistol, to be exact) and “courage you can’t understand”, when taken word-for-word, means the courage to do something un-understandable: to take your own life? The tender feel of this song changes to frightening in few lines…

I don't remember how I felt
I never thought I'd live
To read about myself
In my hometown paper
How my brave young life
Was forever changed
In a misty cloud of pink vapor


Darlin' give me your kiss
Only understand
I am the nothing man


Around here everybody acts the same
Around here everybody acts like nothing's changed
Friday night club meets at Al's Barbecue
The sky is still the same unbelievable blue


Darlin' give me your kiss
Come and take my hand
I am the nothing man


You can call me Joe
Buy me a drink and shake my hand
You want courage
I'll show you courage you can understand
Pearl and silver
Restin' on my night table
It's just me Lord, pray I'm able


Darlin' with this kiss
Say you understand
I am the nothing man
I am the nothing man


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKic3f4bLtAAlbumilta The Rising (2002).

Nothing Manissa on samaa henkilökohtaista ulottuvuutta kuin edeltävällä sijalla olleessa Sad Eyesissa. The Rising-albumille päätyneet biisit tehtiin suurimmaksi osaksi vastineena syyskuun 11. päivän tapahtumille, mutta Nothing Man oli ollut pöytälaatikossa jo 90-luvun puolivälistä saakka.

Tämä oli ensimmäisiä lauluja, jotka kolahtivat itselleni hittikattauksen ulkopuolelta keväällä 2010. The Rising oli ensimmäisiä levyjä, joka mukaan levykaupasta tarttui. Nothing Manin kevyt soitanto ja mielenkiintoinen melodia nostivat sen esille monista muista lauluista tuossa hieman venytetyn oloisessa kokonaisuudessa.

Tätä biisiä en tahdo ruotia rivi riviltä, vaan koetan tiivistää. Ensimmäinen, ja pitkään säilynyt mielikuva, oli että tämäkin on ”pelkkä” rakkauslaulu. Mies toteaa naiselleen, että voi olla vain oma itsensä, vaikkei se olisikaan mitään suurta. Toisen säkeistön kuvaus perjantai-illan grillailusta Al-kamun luona on Springsteeniä omimmillaan, ja niistä juhlista ja tarinoista syntyisi montakin laulua. Ja kun siellä törmätään, niin vaikka ympäristö on muuttunut niin taivas on yhtä sininen kuin aina ennenkin. Tänään on nyt, eikä eilinen tai huominen.

Tutkailin kuitenkin hieman, mitä muut kuulijat ovat olleet laulusta mieltä ja törmäsin mielenkiintoiseen teoriaan. Entä jos viimeisen säkeistön ”pearl and silver restin' on my night table” viittaavat aseeseen (tarkemmin ottaen pistooliin) ja ”courage you can't understand” ilmauksen varsinaisessa merkityksessä rohkeuteen tehdä jotain, mitä ei voi käsittää: eli ottaa itseltään henki? Koko laulun lempeä ilmapiiri vaihtuukin suorastaan pelottavaksi...

I don't remember how I felt
I never thought I'd live
To read about myself
In my hometown paper
How my brave young life
Was forever changed
In a misty cloud of pink vapor


Darlin' give me your kiss
Only understand
I am the nothing man


Around here everybody acts the same
Around here everybody acts like nothing's changed
Friday night club meets at Al's Barbecue
The sky is still the same unbelievable blue


Darlin' give me your kiss
Come and take my hand
I am the nothing man


You can call me Joe
Buy me a drink and shake my hand
You want courage
I'll show you courage you can understand
Pearl and silver
Restin' on my night table
It's just me Lord, pray I'm able


Darlin' with this kiss
Say you understand
I am the nothing man
I am the nothing man


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKic3f4bLtA

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti