torstai 11. kesäkuuta 2015

Bruce Springsteen - TOP56-songs: 41 - Dancing in the DarkBruce Springsteen - TOP56-biisit: 41 - Dancing in the Dark

From the album Born in the U.S.A. (1984).

Born in the U.S.A. was the album which made Springsteen and the E Street Band one of the most recognized names in global music industry. The record was full of poppier songs that differed a lot from the first five albums’ guitar-driven rock and most of all from Nebraska, the album released two years earlier full of acoustic songs. BitUSA was already close to be released but Springsteen’s producer-manager Jon Landau wanted it to have a clear first single which it didn’t have at the time: something to express Bruce’s mental state at the time, because most of the material was originally written during the previously mentioned Nebraska-sessions. Springsteen and Landau argued a little over the matter after which Bruce wrote Dancing in the Dark.

The song is led by keyboards and synthesizers and divides fans’ opinions every time. Some think that the sounds of this song have been outdated for years, but if you think this as a piece of the year 1984 they work nicely. I have to also mention that Dancing in the Dark isn’t sound-wisely the sound of the whole album, because on many other tracks the guitars are in a bigger part: here they content with a side portion.

First we’ll take a look at the musical ground: the synthesizer riff and solid drum work from Weinberg are the bottom of the song. In the outro Clarence Clemons joins in with a saxophone solo full of honey during which when played live an audience member is often lifted on stage to dance with Springsteen or some other member of the band. This manner comes from the song’s music video in which (then not-so-well-known) Courteney Cox played a girl who got to dance with Bruce.

In some concert review this was described as a classical summer night radio song. That’s just what I think Dancing in the Dark is. For me it’s not nearly the best song from BitUSA but it’s value can’t be denied. And especially when it plays on the radio while driving on an endless summer night I have to always bring the volume up a notch.

The lyrics of DitD start from the moment in which the earlier-mentioned argument between Bruce and Landau led. There’s nothing to say and the life of a rock star just keeps spinning around in circles. Like many celebrities, also Bruce swam in the deep waters during those days at times.

I get up in the evening
and I ain't got nothing to say
I come home in the morning
I go to bed feeling the same way
I ain't nothing but tired
Man I'm just tired and bored with myself
Hey there baby, I could use just a little help


You can't start a fire
You can't start a fire without a spark
This gun's for hire
even if we're just dancing in the dark


The vision settles in the second verse: there’s a way to a better tomorrow. “I wanna change my clothes, my hair, my face”. Springsteen puts some power to his vocal performances on that line, too. It’s like he’s saying that he’s not going anywhere although there would be a chance for it.

Message keeps getting clearer
radio's on and I'm moving 'round the place
I check my look in the mirror
I wanna change my clothes, my hair, my face
Man I ain't getting nowhere
I'm just living in a dump like this
There's something happening somewhere
baby I just know that there is


You can't start a fire
you can't start a fire without a spark
This gun's for hire
even if we're just dancing in the dark


There’s poetry on the four lines of the C-section. “Many have died in their homes”, like the Finns would say. The narrator doesn’t see that he has become a joke whose stuck on his place.

You sit around getting older
there's a joke here somewhere and it's on me
I'll shake this world off my shoulders
come on baby this laugh's on me


“I can stay here, but I don’t know why” is what the last verse seems to be asking. If the girl gave just a one look this all might turn to better.

Stay on the streets of this town
and they'll be carving you up alright
They say you gotta stay hungry
hey baby I'm just about starving tonight
I'm dying for some action
I'm sick of sitting 'round here trying to write this book
I need a love reaction
come on now baby gimme just one look


The last chorus before Clemons’ solo is a little different than the previous ones. It’s hard to get up and fly because a broken heart and the fear of failure weigh too much. This part drowns in the poppy expression although it has a strong theme.

You can't start a fire sitting 'round crying over a broken heart
This gun's for hire
Even if we're just dancing in the dark
You can't start a fire worrying about your little world falling apart
This gun's for hire
Even if we're just dancing in the dark


Dancing in the Dark is a regular part of the encore in ESB-shows. It often stretches into a long version but it’s also arranged into a more rock-like feel without forgetting the 80s keyboards. In addition the length of the outro-saxophone solo also varies depending on how long Bruce keeps on dancing with the dame from the audience. On the first gig in Turku 2013 that girl almost stole the show: here’s a clip from that evening!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3FvNNdEmaI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=129kuDCQtHsAlbumilta Born in the U.S.A. (1984).

Born in the U.S.A.-levy nosti 80-luvun puolivälissä Springsteenin ja E-kadun bändin yhdeksi maailman kovimmista musiikkinimistä. Levy oli täynnä popimpaa materiaalia, joka poikkesi suuresti ensimmäisten viiden levyn kitaravetoisesta rockista sekä ennenkaikkea kaksi vuotta aiemmin julkaistusta Nebraska-levystä, joka koottiin 4-raitanauhurille äänitetyistä akustista demoista. BitUSA oli jo lähellä julkaisua, mutta Springsteenin tuottaja-manageri Jon Landau tahtoi sille vielä selkeän ykkössinglen, jollainen levyltä puuttui: jotain, joka kuvaisi Springsteenin senhetkistä mielentilaa (juonsihan valtaosa materiaalista juurensa juurikin aiemmin mainitulle Nebraska-albumille). Springsteen ja Landau kävivät asiasta väittelyn, josta jonkin verran närkästyneenä Bruce kirjoitti Dancing in the Darkin.

Kosketinsoittimien ja syntetisaattorien pääosittama laulu jakaa vahvasti mielipiteitä fanien keskuudessa ja monien mielestä kyseiset soundit ovatkin aikansa eläneet jo vuosia sitten. Toisaalta juuri ajankuvanaan, vuodessa 1984, tämä laulu on omimmillaan. On myös mainittava, ettei Dancing in the Dark soundipolitiikaltaan edusta likimainkaan täydellisesti muuta Born in the U.S:A.-levyä, sillä monilla muilla raidoilla kitarat ovat vahvemmassa roolissa: tässä ne tyytyvät sivuosaan.

Käydään aluksi musiikillinen pohja: syntetisaattoririffi sekä jykevä Weinbergin rumputyöskentely ovat koko biisin pohja. Lopussa Clarence Clemons liittyy mukaan hunajaisella saksofonisoololla, jonka myötä keikkaversiossa usein nostetaan yleisön edustaja lavalle tanssimaan Springsteenin tai vaihtoehtoisesti jonkun muun bändin jäsenen kanssa. Tämähän juontaa juurensa laulun musiikkivideoon, jossa tuolloin vielä melko tuntematon Courteney Cox näytteli tyttöä, joka pääsi tanssahtelemaan Brucen kanssa.

Jossain keikka-arviossa tätä kuvailtiin yhdeksi Radio Novan kesäyöklassikoksi. Sellainenhan Dancing in the Dark juuri on. Itsellenikään se ei ole lähtökohtaisesti suurimpia suosikkeja albumillaan, mutta silti sen arvoa on hankala kiistää. Ja varsinkin silloin, kun se kesäöisin ajellessa tulee radiosta vastaan, on pakko kääntää volumea aina hitusen kovemmalle.

Tekstillisesti DitD käynnistyy juuri hetkestä, johon edellä mainittu lauluntekijä-Brucen ja manageri-Jonin riita johti. Mitään sanottavaa ei ole ja rock-tähden elämä vain pyörii ympyrää. Kuten monet julkisuuden henkilöt, myös Bruce ui tuolloin hetkittäin aika syvissä vesissä.

I get up in the evening
and I ain't got nothing to say
I come home in the morning
I go to bed feeling the same way
I ain't nothing but tired
Man I'm just tired and bored with myself
Hey there baby, I could use just a little help


You can't start a fire
You can't start a fire without a spark
This gun's for hire
even if we're just dancing in the dark


Visio selkenee toisessa säkeistössä: nykyhetkestä on suunta parempaan. ”I wanna change my clothes, my hair, my face”. Springsteen laittaa laulusuoritukseensakin lisää hönkää tuossa kohtaa. Hän kuin toteaa, että eihän tässä olla menossa minnekään, vaikka mahdollisuus olisi.

Message keeps getting clearer
radio's on and I'm moving 'round the place
I check my look in the mirror
I wanna change my clothes, my hair, my face
Man I ain't getting nowhere
I'm just living in a dump like this
There's something happening somewhere
baby I just know that there is


You can't start a fire
you can't start a fire without a spark
This gun's for hire
even if we're just dancing in the dark


C-osan neljällä rivillä on runoutta. ”Kotiin on moni kuollut”, niinkuin suomalaisittain. Kertoja ei huomaa muuttuneensa vitsiksi, joka on jähmettynyt paikalleen.

You sit around getting older
there's a joke here somewhere and it's on me
I'll shake this world off my shoulders
come on baby this laugh's on me


”Voin jäädä tänne, mutten oikein tiedä miksi”, tuntuu viimeinen säkeistö kysyvän. Jos se tyttö antaisi edes yhden katseen, niin tämä voisi vielä kääntyä paremmaksi.

Stay on the streets of this town
and they'll be carving you up alright
They say you gotta stay hungry
hey baby I'm just about starving tonight
I'm dying for some action
I'm sick of sitting 'round here trying to write this book
I need a love reaction
come on now baby gimme just one look


Viimeinen kertosäe ennen Clemonsin fonisooloa on hieman aiemmista poikkeava. Lentoon on hankala lähteä, sillä särkynyt sydän ja epäonnistumisen pelko painavat liikaa. Tämä pätkä hukkuu pop-ilmaisun perään, vaikka onkin vankkaa sanomaa.

You can't start a fire sitting 'round crying over a broken heart
This gun's for hire
Even if we're just dancing in the dark
You can't start a fire worrying about your little world falling apart
This gun's for hire
Even if we're just dancing in the dark


Dancing in the Dark on ESB-keikkojen encore-osaston perusmateriaalia. Usein pitkähköksi venyvä laulu on sovitettu rokkaavampaan muotoon mutta 80-lukua henkivät kosketinsoittimet on jätetty mukaan. Lisäksi outro-saksofonisoolo venyy aina sen mukaan, miten pitkäksi aikaa Bruce unohtuu tanssimaan yleisöstä mukaan nostetun daamin kanssa. Turun ensimmäisellä keikalla 2013 tuo yleisöstä nostettu tyttö meinasikin varastaa show'n: tuo versio löytyy tästä!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3FvNNdEmaI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=129kuDCQtHs

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti